Who Is KitchenKnifeGuru?
KitchenKnifeGuru is Nate Ouderkirk who is less a guru than a fellow appreciator of fine things and how they are made and how to keep them in tip-top shape. He has worn many hats over the years—graphic designer, waiter, rock-and-roll singer/songwriter, fiction writer, English prof, and (let’s not forget) stay-at-home Dad.
Why is he qualified to wear his KitchenKnifeGuru hat? Because:
1) He loves to cook and has spent decades slicing shallots and chopping cilantro in his own kitchen.
2) Many moons ago he worked as a waiter in a number of high-end restaurants in NYC and had the chance to observe how fine food is produced.
4) He has spent months and months researching kitchen knives and how to keep them sharp—scouring the web, reading books (including a college textbook on the manufacturing of steel).
5) He has interviewed numerous cutlers (professional knife sharpeners) and visited their shops as well.
6) He has taken a two-day class in bladesmithing and forged his own paring knife (well, with a LOT of support).
7) He likes helping people.
Do you have a question, suggestion, or wry insight on the nature of the universe? Feel free to leave a post or message on his Facebook page: Facebook.com/KitchenKnifeGuru.